I did a review of SeneGence last year and received a lot of feedback on how helpful it was. So, I’m going to work on posting more reviews for personal care companies to help all of you become more conscious consumers and vote with your dollars!
Please note that I’m not bashing a company. I’m simply reviewing the products. This is not personal; it is merely education. People need to know what’s in the products they put on their skin every day. You all know that I focus on promoting safe, healthy, toxin free skincare and makeup and educating on all things toxin free. Unfortunately Arbonne is not safe, healthy, nor toxin free despite having this on their website: “Arbonne is committed to healthy living to improve MIND. BODY. SKIN.™” .
I will outline the ingredients that Arbonne allows in its products, you may not find each of these in every product, but just allowing these ingredients in any of their products makes it a company that I would not be comfortable using or recommending.
• Loose Powder Titanium Dioxide – The health concern involving use of TD involves inhalation of the loose powder form. The International Agency for Research on Cancer identifies inhalable titanium dioxide as potentially carcinogenic.
• Phenoxyethanol – is used as a preservative in cosmetic products to limit bacterial growth. Skin exposure to phenoxyethanol has been linked to allergic reactions ranging from eczema and hives to anaphylaxis. Infants exposed to phenoxyethanol can experience a depressed central nervous system leading to a decreased appetite, difficulty waking, skin color change, damaged DNA, and limpness of extremities. It is neurotoxic to infants…
• Retinol Palmitate – We all know that retinol is irritating… thats why it “works”. It irritates the skin and causes the cells of the skin to grow (divide) and die more rapidly, increasing the turnover of cells. This turnover leads to massive inflammation, and the Cosmetic Database also has it linked to a laundry list of health hazards: cancer, developmental and reproductive toxicity, restrictions and warnings, cellular level changes, and organ system toxicity.
• Disodium EDTA – is a penetration enhancing ingredient. Which can be absolutely fantastic… but ONLY if it’s enhancing the penetration of great quality instead of enhancing the penetration of toxins.
• Artificial Fragrance – “Fragrance” or “Parfum” is a loophole that should be avoided. There are NO laws requiring the ingredients in fragrance to be disclosed and it’s always a toxic storm that will compromise your health.
Another thing I look at when deciding if I would use or recommend a brand is if they use certified organic ingredients. Certified organic cosmetic ingredients insure a higher level of purity and peace of mind. Many women with sensitive skin also prefer cosmetics made with as many organic ingredients as possible because the organic certification removes the risk of concentrated pesticide residue – a potential irritant that holds additional health concerns with repeat exposure. No certified organic ingredients are used in Arbonne products.
Numerous ingredients in these products contain ties to cancer, hormonal disruption, liver damage, skin irritation, eye irritation, breast cancer, and birth defects. And this is why I do these reviews. Women deserve to know if they are using products linked to serious diseases. If you’re ready to start detoxing your products and making the change to a more toxin free life, please head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/raisingclean/ where you will find more info and support with detoxing your personal care products!